The village was first mentioned in 1263 in historical records. Its traditional name was Sv. Jan, "St. John", after the local church. "Saint" was removed by the communist authorities in 1960.
In the region is about 23 mineral springs, some of them are hot springs. The most popular is Teplica spring, also called Kada, it contains about 830 milligrams of sulphates per litre. Mineral waters are used for drinking and thermal water swimming pools are open to the public.
Liptovsky Jan is a spa village and municipality in Liptovsky Mikulas District in the Zilina Region of northern Slovakia.