It is possible that a Roman road between Wigan and Walton le Dale passed over Coppull Moor according to the Chorley and District Historical and Archaeological Society after excavating a site there in 1959 and 1985.
The settlement has an Anglo Saxon name describing its topography derived from the Old English copp a hill top and hyll a hill. The township was variously recorded as Cophull and Cophulle in 1277, Copphull in 1351, Copthull in 1374 and Coppull from 1444.
The township was originally held by the lords of Worthington until the manor of Coppull was granted to a family of that name under them. Richard of Coppull granted land to Burscough Priory. In the reign of Edward IV, Sir Thomas Stanley bought the manor and it descended with the Stanley property at Lathom until 1600 when William, Earl of Derby sold it to Edward Rigby of Duxbury. In 1755 the owners were named Livesey and John Hodson of Ellerbeck bought it in 1820. The Worthingtons were recussants who kept the old faith, Roman Catholicism. Thomas Worthington became a priest at the English College, Douai and was sent to the Tower in 1584.
Chisnall was held by a family of that name. Roger and John de Chisnall are mentioned in 1277 and 1292. Roger de Chisnall settled land and property on Roger and his brothers Robert, John and Thomas in 1347. John Chisnall, when he died in 1525, held land and property in Coppull and Worthington of the Earl of Derby. Richard Worthington was a Member of Parliament for Wigan between 1688 and 1689 and sat for Preston as a Tory in 1690. Blainscough belonged to the Worthingtons who lived there until after the Civil War.
|